Wednesday, May 25, 2011

WK18 - Foster the People - Torches (9.5)


Released - 5/23/11
Label - Sony Music Entertainment

BLURB - "Torches" is the record everyone expected MGMT to come up with after "Oracular Spectacular." Though not as musically ambitious as MGMT, Foster the People have arrived on the music scene with an energy and enthusiasm that I haven't seen since, well, MGMT. They're young, they're excitable and they're welcome in my iTunes library. I'd like to say I've been following them for some time now and just waiting for them to break...but I haven't. Let the records show that two months ago Mike Walp sent me a message saying, 'Hey check out Foster the People, you'll dig them,' or something along those lines. Someone get Walp a beer.

Rating - 9.5 out of 10

FULL STORY - In all honesty I think the music scene has been lacking in 2011 so far. Yeah we've had James Blake, Cut Copy and Yuck (maybe throw Bibio in there), but that's really been about it. I looked back to what was released early last year, and even before March was over we had already had a ton of great releases (most of which ended up being on my Top 15 Records of 2010 list). These included Freelance Whales, Surfer Blood, Toro y Moi, Local Natives and The Morning Benders - and don't forget Neon Indian's debut came out at the very end of 2009. If I had to take a guess now, there's only three albums (James Blake, Cut Copy and Yuck) that are likely to be on the 2011 version of that Top 15 list - and it's pretty much June already! So, suffice it to say, Foster the People are starting to break at the right time - and the music scene is eating them up. We've been waiting.

Like the band itself, Foster the People's music is easy to explain...yet complicated. If you're in a hurry, Foster the People is like a reincarnation of MGMT from 2008. They're an indie rock band that blends together interesting elements of pop and dance (to some extent) in their music. If you've got some time, their music does go a bit deeper and features some incredibly unique interpretations that, surprisingly, never cease to be entertaining.

'Helena Beat' leads off the album with a bang. The song could very well be one of the best ones I'll hear all year. Machine-esque synth and grinding leads blend together in an unexpected manner that will have you hitting the repeat button over and over again. Against the industrial sounding synthesizers is an incredible dance beat the provides the song with energy and momentum. Vocally, the song is filled with catchy hooks and melodies that cleverly bounce off of the track's instrumentation. At least for me, this is a track I don't see myself getting sick of for a very long time.

The second track on the album, 'Pumped Up Kicks' initially sounds like it's going to be some boring, uninspired work. The song starts with an admittedly catchy riff, but it, along with the vocals are muted and very down tempo. As the chorus approaches the instrumentation and vocals pick up and turn in to something you would expect to hear from MGMT. There is a certain swagger and coolness to the song that can't be understated. After hearing the chorus morph back into a new verse, you get a real sense of how well Foster the People can evoke moods and themes by varying the tone of the song. By differing the production levels and instrumentation, there is a level of interest that is evoked in the listeners - strangely turning this quirky little song into something of an anthemic hit.

'Call What You Want' should be in the next iPad commercial. It's perfect. The track begins innocently enough with just a kick drum and sound effects before a progression of tumbling piano chords emerge. From there, the song transforms into this creatively catchy masterpiece that finds a way to fuse an acoustic piano with rock, pop and dance. I don't think the piano can be understated, and has a great tone to it. At least for me, I feel that the acoustic piano progressions somehow validate and give the song credibility. It would have been all too easy for Foster the People to just plug in some synthesizers and call it a day, but the piano adds a strong sense of character and personality to the song. Also, for some strange reason, the vocals on this track eerily remind me of New Radicals.

Foster the People drum up the obligatory downtempo ballad that's still catchy with 'I Would Do Anything.' The production of the song can definitely evoke some emotion and I can certainly see this song being placed in a film. You know, maybe there's a scene where two close friends just kissed for the first time and the guy is driving away on a deserted highway by himself with a half smile on his face? Music supervisors - listen to this song and read the lyrics and tell me that's not a home run idea:

"Never want to stand up for myself, never want to get in the way - I said it. I don't know what the plan is, but you can share with me, because I'll be listening here to everything you say, I won't turn away. And I will listen, open up my heart and I must say that I love you so. Oh la love, I've fallen in love and it's better this time than ever before."

Enough romantic song placements. Foster the People also drum up something of a hit in 'Houdini.' That song has an incredibly big beat that is driven home with bulky piano riffs. The track remains somewhat moderately paced but never gets too slow. The bridge after the chorus features some crafty synth work that will reel you in if you weren't exactly captivated by the song's initial movement (I wasn't). Towards the end of the track the song climaxes with a great outro that pulls out all of the energy and excitement that you knew was lurking somewhere behind the curtain.

The remainder of the album remains much in the same vein. You never what's lurking behind the next corner, but you're invariably rewarded as you continue listening. There is so much creativity, enthusiasm and curiosity on this album - it's really hard to put down. It really is a breath of fresh air and a record you can simply just push play on - there aren't any songs worth skipping over. The only flaw may be that, while creating this unique and fun interpretation of pop/rock, Foster the People do tend to rely on the same techniques and song constructions throughout the album. The more you listen to this record, a few of the songs do tend to blend in with one another - but never in a way that is overly detrimental. It's just something I've noticed. That being said, "Torches" is definitely an album to go out and pick up (especially if you're into MGMT, Passion Pit, etc.), and should be one of the most played albums of this summer.

Have a listen to 'Helena Beat.'


Tracks
1.) Helena Beat
2.) Pumped Up Kicks
3.) Call It What You Want
4.) Don't Step (Color on the Walls)
5.) Waste
6.) I Would Do Anything for You
7.) Houdini
8.) Life On the Nickel
9.) Miss You
10.) Warrant
11.) Broken Jaw

No comments:

Post a Comment