Sunday, March 6, 2011

WK11 - James Blake - James Blake (9.5)


Released - 2/7/11
Label - Polydor Ltd.

BLURB - Well, James Blake's full length has finally been released and let me be one of the first to tell you that it's well worth the wait. The record is brimming with progressive versatility and creativity. This album will challenge your definition of what a song should sound like. I think my roommate said it best, 'If you asked someone in 1981 what music would sound like in 2011 - they would have probably been describing James Blake.' Of course, this would be after they finished talking about flying cars for thirty minutes. Even just trying to label this collection of sounds is difficult...maybe modern pop/electronica/soul/classical/dance? Whatever it is - this is where music is headed.

Rating - 9.5 out of 10

FULL STORY - Luckily I snagged a few tickets to Blake's first ever US show a week ago, and he didn't disappoint - and the crowd was perhaps one of the best I've ever been a part of. Everyone was there for the same reason and filled with the same level of excitement and anticipation. During slower songs you could literally hear a pin drop as the crowd astutely followed his gigantic fingers across his keyboard. During the more uptempo songs you could hear random people screaming as loud as they could, 'You da man James!!!' And oh yeah...the bass. I have never heard bass like that. Unbelievable.

The album begins with the slow-building, 'Unluck' as we're introduced to a more melancholy version of James Blake. The track is filled with unique and clever percussion that will definitely throw you for a loop upon your first listen. As the song continues to grow, waves of distorted keyboards filter through as Blake digitally contorts his voice to every color imaginable.

'Wilhelms Scream' may just be one of the best songs from this millennium. The track is as complex as it is simple - the James Blake modus operandi. 'Wilhelms Scream' is extremely patient and sincere as it begins. Ambient keyboard chords and digital drums provide the ideal canvas for his lyrics:

"I don't know about my dreams. I don't know about my dreaming any more. All I know is that I'm falling, falling, falling, falling. Might as well fall in. I don't know about my love. I don't know about my loving anymore. All that I know is I'm loving, falling, loving, loving. Might as well love you."

What's great about 'Wilhelms Scream' is that each lyrical stanza is more or less the same, but the delivery and instrumentation is constantly pumping more emotion and energy into the song as it progresses. About halfway in, the keyboards are completely fuzzed out and distorted while the drum beat changes entirely - creating a sense of chaos that sharply contrasts the graceful nature of the song.

Creativity shines on 'I Never Learnt to Share.' Blake begins by looping multiple voices over the line - 'My brother and my sister don't speak to me. But I don't blame them.' Once again as the song builds, a flurry of well conceived effects transition in and out before finally exploding into an eruption of synth and bass at the 3:41 mark.

'Give Me My Month' appears to be a one-take number. It's both raw and beautiful, and on the opposite end of the dub-step spectrum that many people associate Blake with. The song features only an acoustic piano and Blake's voice, and is a great surprise to find on the album. 'Give Me My Month' showcases just how intelligent and versatile Blake is. He has the ability to effortlessly create both insane dub-step records like 'CMYK,' while also having the skill set and wherewithal to pen elegant classical pop tracks like this one.

Don't miss this bandwagon. James Blake, by far, is exceeding all of his lofty expectations and is genuinely pushing music into several new directions. His work is clever, ingenious, simple, progressive and extremely well thought out. Just listening to this debut record will serve as an eye-opener and will have music enthusiasts everywhere desperately searching for more artists like James Blake.

Have a listen to "Wilhelms Scream"



Tracks
1.) Unluck
2.) Wilhelms Scream
3.) I Never Learnt to Share
4.) Lindisfarne I
5.) Lindisfarne II
6.) Limit to Your Love
7.) Give Me My Month
8.) To Care (Like You)
9.) Why Don't You Call Me?
10.) I Mind
11.) Measurements
12.) Tep and the Logic

3 comments:

  1. I don't understand the sudden obsession of dubstep I am still trying to get into this album but to quote ellen page, "it's just noise" lol. To each their own I guess. Also i'd like read your thoughts on Radiohead's King of Limbs and Sufan Stevens Age of Adz!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. kadeem. james blake is not dubstep. i don't know why everyone thinks he is. he's progressive / experimental pop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good review and good music.

    on another note, i got free tickets to go see yuck on april 16th. come out here and go! haha.

    ReplyDelete