Monday, February 28, 2011

WK8 - Yuck - Yuck (9.5)


Released - 2/15/11
Label - Fat Possum Records

BLURB - I really wanted this album to be great. There's been some ok releases to date, but nothing that overly jumps out. I had researched and featured Yuck in my 'Artists to Look Out For in 2011' article, and was more then anxious to pick up the record when it finally came out. As soon as I heard the opening track 'Get Away,' I knew this was going to be one of the best albums of the year. Yuck brings a raw and youthful interpretation of rock music that will take you back to the 90's. It's something of a fusion between grunge, alternative and pop that conjures up all your fond memories of bands like Smashing Pumpkins and Sonic Youth. The album as a whole is extremely balanced, ebbing and flowing from aggressive rock to beautifully composed acoustic tracks. What's most impressive is the maturity and talent that comprises Yuck. This album is well beyond their years, yet the oldest member is 21. Unbelievable.

Rating - 9.5 out of 10

FULL STORY - I do have some bias around this record, so you'll have to bear with me. I bought tickets to see Yuck play at Glasslands the day they were released, in what would be their second US performance ever. They had been scheduled to play at Mercury Lounge the night before, but after their passports and Visas weren't approved in time (they're from England), the show had to be cancelled...making the Glasslands show their first ever. Lucky me. I showed up around 8:30pm and sat through three awful bands that will remain nameless. Yuck took the stage around 12:30am and the crowd went nuts. They were amazing and so thankful for their first opportunity to play in the states, and since I had been there for four hours, I literally had the best spot right next to the stage. The show ended and everyone headed outside...what we didn't know was that in those five (plus) hours it had snowed 19 inches. The subways weren't running regularly, one of the busses that I could have taken home skid out and was on a side walk, dozens of cars were stuck...and it was two in the morning on a Tuesday night. Thus, the only way to get home was to walk the 1.7 miles (yes I google map'd it) in the blizzard. It sucked, but all it really did was make the night that more memorable. It will forever be known in my mind as the Yuck Blizzard of 2011.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago where I found the Yuck record at Barnes and Noble, of all places. As soon as I heard the first ten seconds of 'Get Away,' I knew this was going to be one of my most played albums of the year. The track opens with a flood of distortion and energy that weaves it's way into quite the little pop song. While the song does have a rough exterior, it's innocence and obvious youthful persona creates a mood and feeling that instantly pulls you in. The lyrics are surprisingly bright and introspective and help add a catchy element to the track, something I was not originally expecting with Yuck's music:

"Oh I can't get away. Summer sun says get out more. I need you, I want you. But I can't get this feeling off my mind. I want you, I need you."

'Shook Down' displays Yuck's mature songwriting skills as the band pens a beautiful acoustic track that will definitely turn your head. Contrary to much of their lo-fi, distortion filled material, 'Shook Down' gently flows through the speakers. The song reminds me of any number of random 90's acoustic alternative artists, but with a much more authentic and raw feel.

'Georgia' is perhaps the best track on the album. It has energy, hooks and depth. As the theme goes, the song once again reminds me of the 90's music scene. Imagine if the Gin Blossoms weren't cheesy and really kicked on the distortion. 'Georgia' is playful and gets lodged in your head, but is also delivered with force and some subtle aggression. This combination of delivering instantly likable tracks, while retaining an indie and almost 'punk' style is what makes Yuck's tracks so credible and accessible. The hooks and catchiness of their songs is almost a guilty pleasure.

When I want to get fired up for the gym or work or something, I usually throw on 'Operation.' The song is bubbling with energy and might be the 'loudest' on the record. It's so easy to throw yourself into it and just let the music and ferocity of the song take over. Despite this energy and what sounds like chaos, the track remains somewhat grounded and is something I would still consider to be catchy.

This album as a whole, should turn some heads this year. It's balanced, exciting and all too refreshing. Every time I listen to it, I feel like I'm in 8th grade listening to Bush, Smashing Pumpkins or even the first Strokes' album. There is this weird combination of youthful enthusiasm and subdued excitement on the album, which is packaged into energetic and distortion filled material; and for whatever reason, is extremely addicting. Complimenting these high energy tracks are graceful and slower acoustic songs that do nothing but showcase the band's versatility and talent. Well done...hopefully this album is the first of many.

Take a listen to 'Get Away.'


Tracks
1.) Get Away
2.) The Wall
3.) Shook Down
4.) Holing Out
5.) Suicide Policeman
6.) Georgia
7.) Suck
8.) Stutter
9.) Operation
10.) Sunday
11.) Rose Gives a Lilly
12.) Rubber

No comments:

Post a Comment