Sunday, August 15, 2010

WK33 - Arcade Fire - Suburbs (3.5)


Released - 8/3/10
Label - Merge Records

BLURB - Indie veterans Arcade Fire are back with their latest effort in "Suburbs." Much like The National, this is one of those bands that, for whatever reason, I just never got into. I know who they are, I know their music and their rich history - but the band never really worked it's way in to heavy rotation on my iPod. Along with "Suburbs" came much anticipation and excitement as Arcade Fire played two shows at Madison Square Garden around the record's release date. Ask any hipster if they thought Arcade Fire would be playing MSG anytime soon, five years ago, and you would have been hit with a serious eye roll and a guffaw. So does this new found notoriety and presence in the mainstream come with any kind of new musical justification...well, not really.

Rating - 3.5 out of 10

FULL STORY - I could see this album not being great from a mile away. There was just too much hype and anticipation from the indie music community stating this album was going to be the next big thing. Yes, Arcade Fire has been around since 2003, and they have released two critically acclaimed records in "Funeral" and "Neon Bible," but let's actually take a listen to "Suburbs" before we go ahead and give it some awards.

A weird fact that I learned about Arcade Fire while researching them is that they are actually fronted by husband and wife (Win Butler & Regine Chassagne). If nothing else I find this a little weird. Obviously, they have made this thing work, but when it comes down to creativity and actually writing the songs...I'm curious as to how the process goes in. Is there a lot of arguing? Do they have the stomach to stand up and say - 'no, this doesn't work for this song,' to each other. I just think it's a really interesting dynamic that may not be in the best interest of the music. Or I could be completely wrong.

There are only really a couple of tracks on the album that I could see myself listening to more than casually - the first of which being, 'Empty Room.' Fluttering violins and a flood of haze and distortion create a really cool vibe on this song, bringing both energy and excitement, something that the album as a whole is lacking. What also highlights the song or the vocals delivered by Chassagne (at least I assume that's her singing). The gentle voicing that she provides on the track is the perfect counterpart to the heavy fuzz and frenetic pace of the song. There's a sense of balance that allows you to appreciate all aspects of the song.

"We Used to Wait" also jumps out. For me, it's the introductory piano riff that really catches my attention. It's simple yet bouncy, and immediately likable. The song also continuously builds throughout, and by the end you can really feel the passion and energy from the band.

What's sad is that, after just these two songs, the entire album is completely forgettable. Each song depressingly bleeds into the next in the most mundane of fashions. The lack of excitement and energy is something that unfortunately comes to the forefront. As I'm writing this it is pouring outside, and this should probably serve as some kind of metaphor or something. "Suburbs" just reminds me of rainy day music. An album you put on with no other reason than to pass the time. We could also do without the mammoth sixteen song track list...

Tracks
1.) The Suburbs
2.) Ready to Start
3.) Modern Man
4.) Rococo
5.) Empty Room
6.) City With No Children
7.) Half Light I
8.) Half Light II (No Celebration)
9.) Suburban War
10.) Month of May
11.) Wasted Hours
12.) Deep Blue
13.) We Used to Wait
14.) Sprawl I (Flatland)
15.) Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)
16.) The Suburbs (Continued)

No comments:

Post a Comment