Wednesday, December 16, 2009

WK35 - Memory Tapes- Seek Magic (9.5)

Released - 8/25/09
Label - HSR

BLURB - With only 3 more records to go on the year, I’m opting for some titles that I have definitively never heard of. Enter Memory Tapes. Lucky for me, this was right up my alley. This disc is filled with spacey electronic, yet occasionally funky grooves. There is a nice amount of haziness and subtle, introspective appeal to this album. I didn’t know if I liked it until I really sat down and listened to it. And I do. There is a well balanced combination of instrumentation and electronica that weaves in and out of this 1970’s lo-fidelity vibe. Granted the songs are not pop, and are generally downbeat, but there is an understated, experimental and honest charm to them. Think of a more electronic and less folksy version of MGMT that got mixed in a batch of Thievery Corporation. Not bad, eh?


Rating - 9.5 out of 10


FULL STORY - So I heard about Memory Tapes via Pitchfork's Top 50 Albums of 2009. I really didn't read the review too thoroughly, but since I often butt heads with Pitchfork (they gave Phrazes for the Young a 5.5 out of 10!) - I figured I'd see if I agreed with their ranking of 23rd for Memory Tape's 'Seek Magic,' and ironically, I do.


The second track, 'Bicycle' is Memory Tapes' so called attempt at the 'radio single.' For some reason this is how I wanted and expected Passion Pit to sound. There is a flurry of musical events going on, yet everything sounds relaxed and refined. Very confident. I've never felt that Passion Pit ever really bought into their sound...and I still don't. But that's neither here nor there. After lulling the listener to sleep for the first 6o seconds of cautious singing, percussion and sound effects, the song holds steady for a brief period, only to then be inundated with an intoxicatingly heavy bass riff and an arsenal of effects and background vocals. The song continues to vary in momentum and pace for its' duration, with everything ultimately coming together in an outstandingly crafted ending. Vocal chants mixed with repetitive guitar riffs prove to be a nice combination here.


Easily the funkiest track on the album is 'Stop Talking.' An electronically groovy bass line lays the bedrock for this track as typical 'too cool for school' shoegazer vocals are carelessly submitted. Cue wah wah pedals? Somehow the answer here is yes. As battling guitars and wah wah effects push their way to the forefront, we're hit with another fuzzy bass line and also a wave of synth. Clocking in at 7:02, the length may push some people away. Not me though. With my background admittedly being in jam and electronic music, I really appreciate and admire when an artist can throw together a song, and just see where it takes him. The majority of 'Stop Talking' is fairly consistent, but Memory Tapes very subtlety alters what's being pumped out of the speakers. It may take a few listens, but this track will leave you hearing new sounds and grooves with each successive listen.


'Graphics' (#6 song of 2009) is likely the most electronic-based song on the record. The intro and verse are kind of out there and don't really flow, but maybe this was done for a particular reason? After a bit of stumbling we find the best use of a chorus on the album, bearing much needed depth and weight in the lo-fi electronic realm that Memory Tapes creates. As you continue listening to this track you can hear the song evolve with each passing second. After that amazing chorus, there is an equally satisfying musical bridge that continues contorting sounds and vocals with synthesizers and computer effects. The song never reverts back to the original clumsy introduction and verse and grows organically into a monster of sound. While this track may not be Memory Tape's most popular, it certainly showcases their talent and musical fortitude.


I think this record is amazing. Here's my theory though...it's a little bit too out there for the legions of fans that claim to like the Passion Pits and MGMT's of the world. Memory Tapes may be a little too indie for all those out there that say they like indie. They have a little bit of MGMT in them, but have no tracks remotely close to sounding like 'Electric Feel.' Likewise, they have a little Passion Pit in them, but Memory Tapes does not force a 'Little Secrets' on their audience. This isn't a bad thing, I'd actually argue it's a great thing. Memory Tapes has such a great fusion of sound and experimentation going on, it's really hard for me not to get sucked in. The album has a very organic feel to it as well. Call it lo-fi, call it whatever. Regardless, 'Seek Magic' is a great release and one I'm happy to have found it. Wouldn't mind getting more than 8 songs though...


Tracks

1.) Swimming Field

2.) Bicycle

3.) Green Knight

4.) Pink Stones

5.) Stop Talking

6.) Graphics

7.) Plain Material

8.) Run Out


No comments:

Post a Comment