Tuesday, June 2, 2009

WK7 - Dave Matthews Band - Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King (6.5)


Released - 6/2/09
Label - Bama Rags Recordings, LLC

BLURB - Will this get a fair review? The answer is yes. Maybe. This, 'album-that-was-never-to-be,' is a highly touted sendoff to the tragically departed DMB founding member and saxophonist, LeRoi Moore. Lone saxophone solos occupy both the opening and closing tracks encapsulating this record, forever preserving it as LeRoi's. There are some great shots of funk and rock in here...but is there anything else?

Rating - 6.5 out of 10

FULL STORY - It is well documented that I do not enjoy the Dave Matthews Band (See Also: every conversation I've ever had with a DMB fan). That being said, I absolutely get why 'Dave' is so successful and has legions of fans around the world. Dave is an extremely likable guy, in a likable band, that plays likable music. I get it. For whatever reason, they just never struck a chord with me. I don't find seven minute violin solos (which will cover a whopping six notes) and mindless 'scatting' by Dave to be pleasurable. Sorry. Their music doesn't go anywhere or accomplish anything. It's kind of like hockey. I understand why hockey is a sport and why people like it...but I would rather cut the grass. The worst part about 'Hockey Guy' or 'DMB Guy' is that you can never have a reasonable, objective conversation with them. Hockey is the greatest and Dave Matthews Band is the greatest, and if you offer any kind of disagreement you're instantly bombarded with endless, 'You don' t know what you're talking about' arguments, that never offer an actual position or logical rationale. They are all too far involved to offer any kind of objective opinion. DMB fans are all just mouth-breathers that can't see the forest for the trees. Alright, I got that out of my system.

I'll start with the good. Dave Matthews Band reached out to highly acclaimed rock producer Rob Cavallo (Green Day, My Chemical Romance, Goo Goo Dolls) to handle the production for 'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King.' This move definitely pays off in a number of ways. There are clear, definitive shots of rock and funk that lend a helping hand to DMB and provide a tangible 'edge' to the music. Right away, 'Shock Me Like a Monkey' pulls me in with an assortment of powerful riffs and a tremendous amount of energy. Cavallo found a great way to seamlessly tie together rock and funk without straying to far from that 'vintage' DMB sound. This delicious recipe is also blatantly obvious on the tune, 'Why I Am.' High energy, contagious melodies...another great song.

Let it also be known to the world that I love the single, 'Funny the Way It Is.' When you bring together the funk-rock fusion that was already established on the record, with a string section, keys and clever topical, lyrics...you're going to get a great single. The electric guitar work on this track also subtlety accomplishes what an acoustic guitar cannot. Granted, there is still acoustic guitar on the record, but it is very faint. The electric helps to further emphasize a point or a mood that is trying to be accomplished. During the verses, the sound is very southern pop - and has almost a 'bayou-twang' feel to it. Then when there needs to be a punch and some 'oomph' for the chorus, the distortion kicks in, yet it is not overpowering.

Now for the bad. If you're going to grab the attention of the listener with a great intro, 'Shake Me Like a Monkey' and 'Funny the Way it Is,' you cannot follow it up with 'Lying in the Hands of God.' Good God (no pun intended) this a terrible song. Snooze city. After 30 seconds I wanted to go to Home Depot, buy an ice pick, and swallow it. 'Lying in the Hands of God' sounds like every song I've ever heard while sitting in the waiting room of a dentist. The track is so slow and just kind of sits there. Further ruining this song, is the fact that, 'Why I Am' follows it up. So after being tortured for 5:13, I get another great song coming out of left field. What am I supposed to think? Now, I understand that every song can't be great. Every song can't be fast or slow. Every song can't be thought provoking or fun. Variety is the driving force of music. But as a listener, I can't help feeling a little confused.

After 'Why I Am' the record is fairly forgettable. There is just way too much filler for me. Each track bleeds together, but not in a good way. Have you ever had to write a report, nail a great introductory paragraph, but then get rushed and just kind of wing the rest of the paper? This is 'Big Whiskey.' Granted, the second half of the record is obviously reaching out to LeRoi and understandably trying to convey some raw emotion and religious perspectives, but it comes off as uninspired and very mundane. This leads me to the main focus of this review. What is DMB trying to accomplish with this record? Is this supposed to be a somber, meaningful farewell to LeRoi Moore or is it this wild departure from the norm, to be filled with rock overtones and infectious funk rhythms? If you have a goal and an idea...stick with it. Prepare like hell, and just let it flow.

I may be wrong, but let me offer this argument. If this record was meant to be an emotional goodbye and filled with songs, lyrics and ideas that the average music enthusiast really wouldn't be able to relate to or enjoy, I would like it exponentially more. Say this record was quietly released without alot of press and was just kind of done as a tribute, and as something that more or less, needed to be done. Great. I can respect and admire that. It wasn't. Of all people Dave Matthews knows that whatever his band throws together, it will sell. However, the acquisition of Cavallo was highly publicized and the record was promoted to be this energetic, unique, abstract piece of art. It's almost as is if DMB created a predetermined number of three great pop/rock numbers as bait for consumers, luring fans and listeners in to purchasing what would otherwise be a dry, inwardly reflective disc. It's extremely curious. Now, since I am not a DMB fan I can be rational. There's a good chance I'm completely wrong, and for all I know this was not the intent of the band. Marketing and promotion could have gotten out of hand, and after incredible anticipation and pressure, this album could have turned into something that it was never originally planned to be. That being said, I'm left to critique the end product, not what it was supposed to or should be.

All in all 'Dave' fans will rejoice and love this record. 'Big Whiskey' will be played non-stop at all upcoming summer BBQ's and I'll be ambushed with countless, 'Hey, isn't the new DMB album sweet?' questions. To which I'll reply, 'Yeh, there are a couple good songs,' proceed to down eight Yuenglings and go on about my business. They'll suggest that it is the band's best effort yet, and offer pre-conceived notions it is exactly what LeRoi would have wanted. The earth will continue to revolve around the sun, and everything will be as it should.

If you're bored and want something fun to do - read any less-than-amazing review of 'Big Whiskey' and check out the outrage by DMB fans on the message boards.

Tracks
1.) Grux
2.) Shake Me Like a Monkey
3.) Funny the Way it Is
4.) Lying in the Hands of God
5.) Why I Am
6.) Dive In
7.) Spaceman
8) Squirm
9.) Alligator Pie
10.) Seven
11.) Time Bomb
12.) Baby Blue
13.) You & Me

No comments:

Post a Comment