Tuesday, May 12, 2009

WK4 - Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears - Tell 'Em What Your Name Is! (9.5)



Released - 3/17/09
Label - UMG Recordings

BLURB - I stumbled across this the other day while looking at some noteworthy releases of 2009. I listened to one song and thought there was a mistake, because this sounds like it is straight out of the '60's or '70's. Old school blues, R&B and soul just pour out of this thing in every direction. The record as a whole is amazingly clever and refreshing. The only downside to Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears though, is I can't really see any staying power. I think they could catch on and be a nice little story, but they are never going to rise to any sort of prominence or major fame. I don't really care about that though...this shit is awesome.

Rating - 9.5 out of 10

FULL STORY - Sometimes music is meant to be interpreted, translated and analyzed by the listener. Artists are often criticized for having a 'nice' release, but lacking any depth or layers to the recording. And while it is considered somewhat sophisticated to produce an album that really forces the listener to think, hear and observe the inner workings of the recording - sometimes I just want good music at face value. 'Tell 'Em What Your Name Is!' is so pure and original, it really makes me want to stop listening to Animal Collective. This record really doesn't need any elaborate review or explanation for being great, it just is.

The music on this album is easy to enjoy and filled with great blues riffs, tempo changes and peppered with flashes of motown and funk. I've never really been a big blues guy, I get bored with hearing the same I-IV-V progression and long-winded guitar solos. I get it. To me this has been done ad nauseam and is all too predictable. What's so unique about this record is it is 100% blues without the typical blues chord changes and solos. There is really only one song (Bobby Boshay) that portrays a resemblance to the standard blues number. However, this tune is full of energy and the solos are short and to the point, without becoming monotonous. I, like most people, have a short attention span and Black Joe Lewis really works to keep the listener involved. With the exception of jazz, I prefer music that has a higher ratio of 'riffs' to 'solos.' It's just easier on the ears. The riffs on this record alone on guitar and bass would be catchy, but there is also a full horn section and great keyboard work accompanying them. When this instrumentation gets locked in, it's almost impossible not to dance or at the very least, tap your foot to. To match this energy, the album is filled with amazing choruses that never wear out their welcome.

The other great part of this record is the lyrics. There isn't anything left to the imagination. It's like Joe Lewis is casually talking to the listener for about 35 minutes with a rhythm section. Topics range from being broke, to getting drunk, to forgetting the names of girlfriends. I also have a sneaking suspicion that the band went into the studio with no lyrics and just kind of 'winged it.' There seems to be several, what appear to be, impromptu dialogues and shouts going back and forth from Lewis and the Honeybears. Perhaps, the best track on the album (in my opinion) is 'Get Yo Shit.' Every aspect of this record that I just detailed is present on this number. The verses are varying, spoken conversations between Lewis, his girlfriend(s) and the Austin Police Department, all over a soulful, retro bass line. After each subsequent verse the entire band revs up and a chorus is belted out relating to that particular verse. Even though it clocks in at a mere 2:49, 'Get Yo Shit' captures the essence and raw nature of the band.

It's worth mentioning that despite being a noteworthy release, 'Tell 'Em What Your Name Is!' has received some less than glamorous reviews. Several writers have written the Honeybears off as a gimmick, trying too hard to imitate their soul and blues influences. In response to that I would just have to say, take Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears for what they are. The second you try to analyze and break down this band, you take away any objectivity that you entered room with. Don't think too hard about this one...crack open a PBR and enjoy it.

Tracks
1.) Gunpowder
2.) Sugarfoot
3.) I'm Broke
4.) Big Booty Woman
5.) Boogie
6.) Master Sold My Baby
7.) Get Yo Shit
8.) Humpin'
9.) Bobby Boshay
10.) Please Pt. 2




1 comment:

  1. I first heard of this band the other night. I live in New Orleans, and the NY Dolls came through and Black Joe opened for them.

    I think I enjoyed their set even more than the Dolls'.

    I immediately bought the CD, and have ben enjoying it immensely - just a fun fun fun disc.

    ReplyDelete